Friday, February 7, 2014

Corn Pudding Recipe. Understanding a culture through it's food.

Have you seen a corn dish on a menu in Europe or Asia? Corn casseroles are as American as meat loaf. I grew up anticipating holiday meals — the only time my mom made this wickedly wonderful, sinfully rich corn dish. 

When I was an exchange student in Luxembourg, I wanted to make my host family something “typically American” and asked my mom to send me the Jiffy Corn Mix and the canned corn to make this recipe. Let’s just say, corn is not appreciated in European cuisine. The son of the family told me later that they feed corn to the pigs. Ha Ha. The joke was on me.

When my daughter and I biked across Kansas a few years ago, on our trans-continental ride, we pedaled for days through corn fields. So I had a lot of time to think about corn!  Corn and beef are as basic as apple pie in the Midwest and in the American culinary consciousness.
Every woman in my family has a different name for it: my mother in Ohio called it Corn Dump, my sister in Florida calls it Corn Pudding and I call it Corn Souffle.  Called by any name, this dish is delicious. Everyone asks for more and yes, for the recipe too. I always make it in a large 8×12″ glass casserole dish and it will serve 10-15 people. My friends beg me to bring it to the holiday party because it serves a crowd, is always a hit, and compliments turkey, beef or chicken.
Easy as 2,2,4,8!
Corn Souffle
  • 2 cans cream corn
  • 2 cans kernel corn
  • 2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 4 eggs
  • 8 ounces of sour cream
Melt the butter. Mix all the ingredients in an 8×12″ or 10×13″ pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until the middle is firm and the top is a golden brown color. 
Left-overs are decadently wonderful reheated for breakfast!
Visit me at www.gutsytraveler.com for more tastes of the world. 

No comments: